What is a museum exhibition tour for students?
The two-hour long program facilitated by a VHEC docent consists of an interactive tour through the current exhibitions and an interactive workshop in the education room.
How long does a tour and workshop last?
The total duration of the tour (55 minutes) and the workshop (55 minutes) including a 10 -minute break is two hours.
Why should I sign up?
Outcomes for Students
Through artefact-based learning and engaging with primary sources, students learn about some of the highlights of the VHEC collection and major themes within the Holocaust including pre-war Jewish life, the rise of Nazism, antisemitism and propaganda, Nazi camps, rescue, resistance and immigration to Canada. By engaging with portraits of local survivors of the Shoah and their impactful messages to students, they gain insight into challenges that survivors faced, but also into their resilience and strength.
We also invite you to read a sample of notes sent to us from students.
Outcomes for Teachers
Both the interactive tour and interactive workshop led by a docent are designed to be in alignment with the new BC curriculum and foster its core competencies:
- Critical and creative thinking: prompted by discussion questions and survivor quotes
- Personalized and question based learning: fostered by learning with primary sources through the exploration of artefact reproductions
- Thinking about personal and social values: prompted by the subject matter of the Holocaust, survivor quotes and discussion questions
- Technology enhanced: encouraged through students’ engagement with audio-visual survivor testimonies as part of the exhibition’s digital captions app
- Flexible learning environment: being in the museum and workshop space offers learning on diverse levels including reading, visual, tactile, audio-visual, digital, and craft-based
When are they offered?
Tours and workshops are offered in both the mornings and in the afternoons according to arrangements made between the teacher and the Centre.
Who are the tours and workshops suitable for?
- Recommended class size is 30 students.
- Recommended for students of grades 6 to 12 (can be tailored to secondary students, student teachers, and other groups)
- If you would like to visit with two classes (60 students), two docents will concurrently facilitate the program while one class starts with the tour and one class with the workshop
- A limited number of Survivor Outreach Speakers are available to speak at the museum following the exhibition tour. Priority will be given to grades 10, 11 and 12 classes. To request a speaker following a tour please contact us at 604.264.0499. We will make every effort to accommodate your request.
What is the fee?
The fee is $100 per class of 30 students.
Partial or full subsidies available by request.
How do I sign up?
You have two options:
- Please complete and submit the request form below, or
- Contact Us
What else should we know?
- Due to the high volume of requests for tours, we recommend that you book at least two weeks in advance.
- We would appreciate three days cancellation notice.
What if we have some questions?
Contact us and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.