Plan a Visit to the Museum
We are pleased to welcome visitors to the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre to view our acclaimed exhibition, Treasured Belongings: The Hahn Family & the Search for a Stolen Legacy, by appointment only.
We ask that all visitors follow the protocols and code of conduct outlined below and onsite. Please carefully review this information in advance of booking your visit. Procedures are subject to change, so check for any updates before your arrival.
Booking Your Visit
- Appointments to view the VHEC’s current exhibition are available on Wednesdays between 10 am and 3 pm.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-264-0499 to schedule a booking. Note that individuals born 2009 and earlier (12 years of age and older) will not be permitted to enter the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver (JCC) to visit the VHEC without proof of vaccination for COVID-19 with a Government of Canada–approved vaccine.
- Your timed visit will allow us to coordinate your entry to the building with the JCC and to ensure a safe experience at the VHEC.
Before Your Visit
- If you or any member of your party is feeling sick, please stay home. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are feeling better. Please call 604-264-0499 to cancel your booking.
- You may be asked to wait in line outside before being admitted into the JCC. Please be prepared for the weather.
- Please travel light. The cloakroom and lockers are not available at this time and there is no storage for large bags, backpacks or suitcases. Please bring only what you can carry for the duration of your visit.
- Masks or face coverings are required; please bring your own. Masks are also required in the JCC’s public common areas.*
- Food and drink are not permitted inside the VHEC.
- Washrooms are available and cleaned regularly according to the JCC’s COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Arriving at the JCC
- Visitors are required to enter the JCC through the main entrance, off the parking lot.
- Visitors will be required to check in with a JCC associate prior to entering the building and will be asked to follow these procedures:
- Practice physical distancing at all times.
- Answer health questions.
- Show proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
Finding your Way
- Follow directional signage to the lower level of the JCC, where the VHEC is located.
- In addition to the stairwell, an elevator is available. Please note posted occupancy limits.
Enhanced Safety and Security Measures
At the VHEC you will notice:
- A physical plexiglass barrier between our reception area and visitors.
- Signage prohibiting entry to those with symptoms of illness and reinforcing two-metre physical distancing.
- Signage reinforcing hand sanitization, with sanitizer available onsite and staff adhering to hand washing protocols.
- Occupancy limits for visitors and staff.
- Enhanced cleaning measures in all areas.
The VHEC’s COVID-19 Safety Plan is available here.
In the Exhibition
- Please maintain a two-metre distance from people outside of your party at all times.
- Follow the wayfinding arrows through the exhibition.
- Please do not touch anything while inside the VHEC, except for touchscreen tablets designated by signage and accompanied by hand sanitizer. Tablets are disinfected between visitors. Please do not touch museum cases or drawers.
- If you have any questions or require any assistance, please ask a VHEC staff member. Staff are available to support your visit and to help ensure that physical distancing measures and policies are respected.
- The exhibition remains closed for public tours and school programs until further notice. Loans of classroom book sets and discovery kits are suspended until further notice. Online educational resources are available and our website and social media channels offer program and resource updates.
- The archives and library remain closed to on-site research appointments and browsing. Library materials are not available for circulation at this time.
- Researchers are encouraged to visit the collections database online.
- Reference service is available by contacting: email@example.com.
- Book sales are not available until further notice.
Visitor Code of Conduct
The Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre is committed to providing an environment and services that respect the dignity, self-worth and human rights of every individual and are free from any form of violence, discrimination or harassment. The VHEC will not tolerate any acts of violence, discrimination, or harassment perpetrated against or by any employee, contractor, volunteer or member of the public using the VHEC’s services and space.
- Please do not come to the VHEC if you or any member of your party are feeling sick.
- Please keep a two-metre distance from others at all times, except for those in your party.
- Masks or face coverings are required; please bring your own. Masks are also required in the public common areas of the JCC.
- Please do not touch anything while inside the VHEC, except for touchscreen tablets designated by signage and accompanied by hand sanitizer.
- Please cough and sneeze into your elbow.
- Food and drink are not permitted inside the VHEC.
- Please be respectful of your fellow visitors and VHEC staff.
All visitors will be asked to follow these policies, procedures and code of conduct. The VHEC reserves the right to deny or revoke entry to any visitor who does not adhere to any stated policies or code of conduct.
* Individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings in the following cases:
- Persons with a medical condition, breathing or cognitive difficulties, or a disability that prevents them from wearing a face covering or renders them unable to don a face covering unassisted
- Children under 5 years of age
The following face covering types are not acceptable:
- Masks with exhalation valves
- Neck gaiters
The VHEC is located near the corner of Oak Street & West 41st Avenue, along the #41 and #43 bus routes. The Centre is a 10–15 minute walk from the Canada Line’s Oakridge–41st Avenue Station. Transit schedules & routes available on Translink’s website. Pay parking is available. The building is wheelchair accessible.
50 – 950 W 41st Ave
V5Z 2N7 Canada
(Lower level of JCC)
Monday – Thursday
9:30 am – 5 pm
9:30 am – 3:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday
HOLIDAYS & CLOSURES
Dec 21, 2020 – Jan 4, 2021, Winter Break
February 15, Family Day
March 29, Passover
April 2, Good Friday
May 17–18, Shavuot
May 24, Victoria Day
July 1, Canada Day
August 2, BC Day
September 6, Labour Day
September 7–8 Rosh Hashana
September 16, Yom Kippur
September 21–22, Sukkot
September. 28–29, Shemini Atzeret & Simchat Torah
Octtober 11, Thanksgiving
November 11, Remembrance Day
December 25–January 2, 2022, Winter Break
Are there any age restrictions?
The museum is open to everyone but we suggest age 12 and above.
Is there an admission fee?
Admission is by donation (suggested amount is $5) and free for VHEC members.
Is there anything else we should know?
- Photography is permitted without the use of a flash
- No food and beverages in the exhibition space
- Only service animals are permitted
- For a quiet atmosphere, do not use cell phones